Friday, September 5, 2014

September 5 - Nenagh - Searching for Ancestors

Enjoyed a full Irish breakfast sausages, pudding, bacon, eggs, hash browns again today plus cereals, yogurts, fruits, OJ, and breads.






























Tom picked me up at 9:30 and gave me the grand tour of Nenagh as well as the townlands in the Borrisokane parish where we have common ancestors.  We explored the historic buildings in Nenagh, such as the gaol (jail).


Cell in old Jail
We also visited the abandoned family home of his three bachelor uncles. Tom described the house as it looked years ago and his memories of visiting his uncles.  Lady visitors received a glass of sherry while it was whiskey for the menfolk. There had also been a bountiful garden outside. 
Tom's uncles' house
We visited cemeteries in Aglish and where many of our ancestors --- the Ryans and O'Mearas --- rest in peace.  In Borrisokane village, we walked upon the graveyard at the old famine workhouse. Over 230 people perished there -- a monument and a poem by Tennyson commemorate them.































Come not, when I am dead,
To drop thy foolish tears upon my grave,

To trample round my fallen head,

And vex the unhappy dust thou wouldst not save.

There let the wind sweep and the plover cry;

But thou, go by.

Child, if it were thine error or thy crime
I care no longer, being all unblest:

Wed whom thou wilt, but I am sick of Time,

And I desire to rest.

Pass on, weak heart, and leave me where I lie:

Go by, go by.








Later in the afternoon, Jim and I relaxed on the shores of Lough Derg and explored nearby ruins.



















Tom picked us up for an evening of dinner and fun at his house with his family.  Dinner was delicious --- wine, quiche, salads, potatoes, chicken, and for dessert, rhubarb cobbler with whipped cream (many of the vegetables grown in Tom's garden).  Later on, we shared genealogy notes.


Dinner with the Ryans

Tom's garden




No comments:

Post a Comment